Title: Winter Glow
Size of Layout/ Number of Photos: 12x12" page utilizing (2) 5x7" cropped photos.
Supply list: Cardstock: Bazzill Basics Paper; Patterned Paper: Bo-Bunny (dot), We R Memory Keepers (stripe), Mrs. Grossman's (scrap metal); Die Cuts with a View (gray wood grain); Making Memories (ledger); Chipboard shape: Maya Road; Glitter alpha stickers: Making Memories; Rub-on alpha: American Crafts; Buttons: Close to My Heart; Brad: Basic Grey; Trim: Paper Bag Studios (crumpled), Maya Road (clear snowflake); Metallic Floss: DMC; Pen: ZIG Millenium; Other: Velvet leaves, tulle.
Special techniques used: As much as I love Prima Manufacturing for their gorgeous flowers, it's not in my budget to get them in every shape and color. It's much easier to customize the needed flowers by making your own.
I'd like to share with you a technique for cutting out flower shapes from sheer tulle; If you tried cutting tulle, you probably noticed that it is difficult to cut into a perfect shape since the sheer quality of the fabric does not lend itself well for marking on it or tracing.
You will need:
- tulle or other sheer fabric
- adhesive tape or contact paper (would be better than tape since it would stick down the whole surface of the fabric, but I did not have any handy ;)
- die-cut or chipboard shapes (not intricate designs- larger shapes are easier to cut around)
IMG_12311. Cut out a piece of tulle larger than the die-cut shape and place the die cut shape on top of the tulle.
2. Tape the die cut shape onto tulle making sure the strips of tape (or contact paper) extend beyond the die cut shape and onto tulle.
3. Holding the taped fabric and die cut shape close to the edges, cut around the die cut shape.
Now you have perfect sheer flower shapes that you can stack on top of each other or onto other flowers for a custom look. This technique is super quick to do, and does not require any special material.
***Note, cutting tulle might work with die cutting machines if you sandwich the fabric between two adhesive sheets of contact paper.